Pages

Monday 23 May 2022

Photocopy Compositions 3.1/3.2

 Photocopy Compositions 3.1/3.2

Framing References:

Framing in photography is when parts of a photo are blocked to bring focus to the subject of the image. Framing is a key element in photography and is used to draw the eye to the focus. Framing can be used in either the center or along the sides of an image. Framing can be all 4 sides or just one or two sides. Often objects such as brunches, tunnels archways, windows, or people are used to create frames in an image. Frames can exist naturally within a location or either be staged to create framing. In my photocopy compositions, I have used negative film strips and also plastic straws to create different frames in my copies. I also played around with using framing all around and in certain areas. 

I collected a range of different objects that have different textures, shapes, and patterns. I collected different forms of flowers and leaves, straws, stones/rocks, old photo negatives, rubber bands, scrunched-up paper, and more. These collections allowed me to play around with different compositions that have different textures and shapes. Even when using the same objects, alining them differently created many different unique shapes and compositions. I also played around with having a different background covering the objects. This really played a role in creating the unique colors. For example, when I had a white background the colors were lighter and less vibrant whereas when I placed a dark background on top it made the objects more vibrant and easier to see. I wanted to try to get an in-between on the two backgrounds so I scrunched up a piece of paper and laid it on top which helped to create a grey tone background. I was trying to create compositions that could fit my theme (changes throughout the years) but also create unique compositions that worked well together. My next steps with scanning will be to look deeper into how I could create more compositions that would fit my theme well. Here are my results (all my scans are on the google slide shown below).



Editing my images to relate to my theme:
For some of my photocopies, I decided to do half color and half black and white. I wanted to do this as in the olden days color photos, or television wasn't around whereas now we have color in everything. I thought this would help to relate to the changes throughout the years. It shows how times have changed especially through the idea of color. 
One of my artist models Rinko Kawauchi uses the idea of light vs dark to show the idea of life vs death. I want imagination in the photographs I take. It’s like a prologue. You wonder, “What’s going on?” You feel something is going to happen”. “The subject of Rinko Kawauchi’s work “Aila” (which means “family” in Turkish) is the depiction of the essence of life: animals, plants, and people are shown in a sequence assembled by free association, which also includes both birth and death. Rinko Kawauchi’s fascination with fleeting beauty, the subjects of creation and destruction, and life and death are communicated in her images”. To create this idea in my image I have used a combination of underexposure and over-exposure to show the light vs dark idea. I have also edited my photocopies to have a bleach type, color effect like in her own photographs.

1 comment:

  1. These are a good start and are beginning to reflect time, old and new etc, as you have discussed previously. There could also be a nice link to your artist models happening here. What I would like to see is a clearer breakdown of the starting text on framing referenced in your writing and then your picture making, and then some edits that help tie these to your photoshoots as a photographic series of work that should be on your folio.

    You have reflected on each photocopy as well which is a better level to be at, analytically for a level three student. However, it requires much more work to be a complete task.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.