Pages

Saturday 27 June 2020

Level 1 Art Update Term 2


At the start of this year, my art theme was animal endangerment. I really struggled with finding ideas for this art theme so I decided to change mine. I'm focusing more on females and have changed my theme to how things have changed (olden days vs modern days).

For my first art theme, I came up with an idea to draw a turtle with the shell as a melting world. I added hexagons to the background to represent the shell of the turtle. I also made the hexagons red/orange to represent the sun melting the world because of climate change.

My second art theme I have completed a piece on my great aunty who was born in 1934. It was a younger photo of her and for her hair. I took inspiration from Sofia Minson's art and added it to mine. She has a very realistic looking person with a flat background with patterns to make the person stand out. Instead of adding the flat pattern into the background, I decided to add it into the hair and leave a white background. For her hair, I also added gold foil, so that there was a bit more dimension. I wanted to choose more warm colours because I think it added more contrast to the pencil drawing and not everything was dark. I'm thinking of doing one bored more olden day styled and the second bored more modern-day so I have also started another piece on a woman sitting on a stool. I like photo inspiration for this because I felt like the outfit she was wearing, was something that lots of people wore in the olden days. I changed the pattern of the dress a little because I didn't want there to be too many patterns so I made it more simple. Also to incorporate Sofia Minson into this art piece I have decided to draw her with a pencil and add a patterned background.

The second piece that I have started

Finished artwork of my great aunty

The pattern inspiration I added into my great aunties hair

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alayna,
    I really enjoyed reading your introduction which outlined why you were sharing this work. The notes under each image were also very helpful.
    The shading you have used on the dress is very impressive, you also have a good sense of proportion for these drawings. I found that people are incredibly hard to draw accurately - well done.
    I really like the idea of using pattern in the images. I wonder if the hair is the most important part of the portrait? By using the pattern for the hair that is what stands out.
    Do you think your whole portfolio will be drawings or are you going to add in some other mediums?
    I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.
    - Miss Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Morgan, thank you for you're kind comment. Personally I would love to do more pencil drawings but I think I would love to incorporate some photography and maybe some design media :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.